Managing gout flare attack of the big toe or other joints.
You have probably checked what the symptoms of a gouty flare attack are. Let’s see what you can do if you suddenly experience such symptoms?
- Take medicine. If you already have some anti-inflammatory drug prescribed by your doctor, take it to suppress the infection. If you have ibuprofen or diclofenac, these might also help to reduce the pain. Don’t use aspirin, though, as it intensifies the flare attack. Make sure that you will follow your doctor’s instructions or the instructions of the used medicine.
- Cold compress. Try to put something cold on foot. A simple wet towel shall help reduce the stong flare pain. Some crushed ice in a plastic bag applied for 20-30min is perfect.
- Call your doctor ASAP. Тhe gout flares are best treated in the first 24 hours. Make sure that you will get back to your doctor at your earliest convenience. Explain the symptoms. If you also have a fever, do not forget to mention this, as you might have a joint infection that is not directly related to gout.
- Drink water. Unless you don’t have some specific restrictions on water intake – stay well hydrated. 3-3.5l of water per day is great. Some of the sources suggest having at least half of it water, but we told you this – try to avoid soft drinks or soda as much as possible. Focus on water or homemade lemonade. The water helps wash away the uric acid and lower its levels.
- Forget about alcohol. Put a hard stop on beers, liquor, wines. Simple as that.
- Relax. Elevate your affected foot, avoid movement until the severest pain fades away. Relax mentally – read a book, watch a movie, or have a friend meeting. Stress affects gout, as well.
When the gout flare is over, think of re-designing your habits – food, hydration, weight management. Your doctor shall be notified in any of the cases. Gout is manageable with a constant regime, often for life. This will improve your life quality in general. However, if not treated, gout arthritis might result in a serious hazard to your health, affecting kidneys, hearth, destroying your joints, building tophi, even cataracts by accumulating uric acid in your eye tissue.
Our mission at GoutBye is to help you build precisely these habits and make your life easier. Make sure you will check out other articles on our site. 🙂